At least 117 repentant terrorists from Borno State have completed the Disarmament, Rehabilitation and Reintegration (DRR) programme under Operation Safe Corridor, as the initiative extends beyond the North East to other regions of the country.
The development was disclosed at a high-level stakeholders’ meeting convened by Defence Headquarters at the Nigerian Army Resource Centre, where modalities for transferring rehabilitated participants to federal and state authorities for reintegration were finalised.
In a statement issued on Thursday, the Director of Defence Information, Samaila Uba, said the graduation marked a significant milestone in Nigeria’s non-kinetic counterinsurgency efforts, even as the Benue State Government formally requested the establishment of a DRR camp in the North Central region.
Providing operational updates, the Coordinator of Operation Safe Corridor, Y. Ali, said the 117 beneficiaries completed the programme at the Mallam Sidi Camp in Borno State, noting improved collaboration between federal and state authorities.
“Providing operational updates, the Coordinator disclosed that 117 clients from Borno State have successfully completed the DRR process at Mallam Sidi Camp, reflecting strengthened federal–state harmonisation in reception, monitoring and community reintegration,” the statement read.
Read also: Naira slumps further, sheds N3.25 against dollar at official FX market
Ali also highlighted the expansion of Operation Safe Corridor to the North West, describing the establishment of a DRR camp in February last year as a major step toward stabilisation in the region.
“He also highlighted the expansion of OPSC to the North West, where a DRR camp established in February last year marked a significant stabilisation milestone. Ongoing engagements with Zamfara State aim to recalibrate the facility toward a comprehensive Victim Healing, Rehabilitation and Reintegration framework, integrating psychosocial recovery, community reconciliation, livelihood support and structured monitoring.”
On developments in the North Central zone, Ali disclosed that Benue State had formally applied for a DRR camp, adding that Defence Headquarters had already assessed proposed locations.
He explained that approval would be subject to compliance with national standards on infrastructure, security, and long-term sustainability.
The meeting brought together representatives of key federal ministries, the Office of the National Security Adviser, state governments, and neighbouring countries including Burkina Faso, Chad, Niger, and Cameroon. International partners in attendance included the International Committee of the Red Cross, the International Organization for Migration, as well as Norway, the United Kingdom, the European Union, and the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
Delivering the keynote address, the Chief of Defence Staff and Chairman of the OPSC National Steering Committee, Olufemi Oluyede, represented by the Chief of Defence Operations, Jamal Abdusalam, said Operation Safe Corridor remains a central pillar of Nigeria’s security architecture.
He stressed that while military operations are critical to degrading insurgent capabilities, sustainable peace requires structured rehabilitation and reintegration to prevent relapse into violence.
Nigeria’s counterinsurgency strategy combines kinetic military action with rehabilitation and deradicalisation of surrendered fighters through Operation Safe Corridor, launched in 2016. With growing interest from states affected by insurgency and banditry, the programme is now being expanded beyond the North East to support national stabilisation and long-term recovery efforts.
The post 117 ex-terrorists fighters graduate as DRR programme expands nationwide appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.

2 hours ago
3





