Electoral reform campaigners plan peaceful occupation of NASS on Tuesday

3 hours ago 1

The Movement for Credible Elections (MCE), a broad coalition of civil society groups and labour leaders, has announced plans to stage a peaceful protest at the National Assembly of Nigeria on Tuesday as part of renewed pressure for far-reaching electoral reforms ahead of the 2027 general elections.

The planned action was disclosed in a statement issued on Monday and signed by the MCE Media Coordinator, Comrade James Ezema. According to the coalition, the protest is designed to draw national attention to the urgent need for reforms already detailed in a public petition it formally submitted to lawmakers last month.

MCE said the demonstration represents an escalation of civic engagement efforts, aimed at compelling legislators to prioritise amendments to Nigeria’s electoral framework in order to safeguard the integrity of future elections and restore public trust in the democratic process.

Speaking on the planned rally, the Head of the MCE National Secretariat, Olawale Okunniyi, described the protest as part of a sustained, peaceful democratic struggle to ensure that electoral laws genuinely reflect the will of the people.

“Credible elections are fundamental to strengthening democracy, promoting political accountability, and restoring public confidence in governance,” Okunniyi said.

He stressed that the coalition’s engagement with the National Assembly is rooted in constitutional rights and civic responsibility, noting that electoral reform is central to addressing voter apathy, disputed outcomes, and declining confidence in public institutions.

Read also: Customs refute forex manipulation claims, reaffirm CBN authority over import valuation rates

According to the statement, the protest will feature a media rally and addresses by a wide range of respected voices from across Nigeria’s civic, academic, legal, and labour spaces. Expected speakers include human rights lawyer Femi Falana, constitutional scholar Usman Bugaje, political economist Pat Utomi, labour leader Ayuba Wabba, former minister Oby Ezekwesili, senior advocate Olisa Agbakoba, trade unionist Joe Ajaero, and former lawmaker Shehu Sanni, among other leaders of civil society and organised labour.

MCE reiterated that the protest would be strictly peaceful and law-abiding, in line with democratic norms, and urged security agencies to provide a safe environment for participants to express their views.

The coalition also called on Nigerians from all walks of life to support its advocacy, insisting that transparent, inclusive, and credible elections are essential to national stability and democratic consolidation.

MCE maintained that without urgent legislative action, the country risks repeating past electoral controversies, warning that the 2027 elections must not be conducted under a framework that fails to command public confidence.

The post Electoral reform campaigners plan peaceful occupation of NASS on Tuesday appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.

Read Entire Article
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners Copyright © 2024. Naijasurenews.com - All rights reserved - info@naijasurenews.com -FOR ADVERT -Whatsapp +234 9029467326 -Owned by Gimo Internet Tech.