Troops arrest two suspected cattle rustlers in Benue

4 hours ago 2

Troops of the Joint Task Force under Operation Whirl Stroke have apprehended two individuals in connection with cattle rustling and the suspected killing of herders in Benue State.

The development was disclosed in a statement issued by the acting Media Information Officer of OPWS, Lieutenant Ahmad Zubairu, and made available to journalists in **Makurdi** on Monday.

Zubairu explained that OPWS personnel promptly responded to two different security incidents in **Guma Local Government Area**.

According to the statement, “On 15 February 2026, Operation WHIRL STROKE troops were informed that two herders had been attacked at Amua Village, located within the expanse of land stretching from Daudu to Umenger/Ukpiam in Guma LGA.

“The OPWS spokesman said that at the time troops arrived at the scene, one harder was found dead and the second harder sustained a gunshot injury.

“On arrival, it was confirmed that the attack led to the death of one herder, while the second victim sustained gunshot wounds.

The injured herder was immediately evacuated to Keana in neighbouring Nasarawa State for urgent medical treatment.

“The remains of the deceased were subsequently handed over to community representatives for burial in accordance with local customs.”

He added that on the same day, soldiers deployed in Ukpiam acted on intelligence supplied by vigilant youths, which led to the arrest of a 23-year-old suspected cattle rustler.

“The troops working on credible information moved swiftly, leading to the arrest of a 23-year-old suspect, Mr Terngu Aondohemba, who reportedly confessed to killing two cattle belonging to Fulani herders.

“He also implicated two accomplices, identified as Mr Akpehe and Ashinge, who are currently at large,” the statement said.

Zubairu further noted that follow-up investigations took operatives to Korje Village in Daudu, where a woman, Mrs Mercy Onban, allegedly the wife of the buyer of the stolen meat, was arrested alongside the recovered meat exhibits.

He confirmed that the two suspects are currently in custody as investigations continue.

Reacting to the development, the Force Commander of the Joint Task Force, Moses Gara, reiterated the commitment of Operation Whirl Stroke to ending persistent killings and cattle rustling within the Joint Operations Area.

He condemned the acts of violence and criminality, warning that offenders would be relentlessly tracked and prosecuted.

The commander also urged community leaders to deepen cooperation with security agencies, stressing that timely and accurate intelligence remains vital to achieving sustainable peace.

He assured law-abiding residents of the task force’s determination to protect lives and property across the region.

Troops arrest two suspected cattle rustlers in Benue

Read Entire Article
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners Copyright © 2024. Naijasurenews.com - All rights reserved - info@naijasurenews.com -FOR ADVERT -Whatsapp +234 9029467326 -Owned by Gimo Internet Tech.