DHQ dismisses claims of terrorist base in South-West

1 day ago 3
ARTICLE AD BOX

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) has dismissed claims of the existence of a terrorist base in the South-West.

The Director of Defence Media Operations, Maj.-Gen. Michael Onoja, made the clarification in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja.

He assured Nigerians that ongoing operations are targeted at rescuing abducted victims and neutralising criminal elements.

Onoja said the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), Gen. Olufemi Oluyede, extended condolences to the government and people of Oyo State as well as families of victims affected by the recent attack on some schools in Oriire Local Government Area of the state.

He described the abduction of innocent children and staff as reprehensible.

READ ALSO:

He assured that the Armed Forces were deploying all necessary resources to ensure their safe and unconditional rescue.

“The full weight of the Armed Forces is being brought to bear to ensure the safe return of all abducted victims,” he said.

Onoja urged Nigerians to remain calm, united and continue to support security agencies with credible information.

He said the military had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park, neutralising criminal elements operating within the area.

According to him, current intelligence does not support claims of any established or structured terrorist base in the South-West region.

“The incident in Oyo State remains an isolated criminal act and does not indicate the presence of an entrenched insurgent structure in the region.

“The Armed Forces caution against narratives capable of creating unnecessary panic or emboldening criminal elements,” he stated.

The defence spokesman disclosed that troops had already made contact with the perpetrators and were sustaining pursuit operations across forest corridors.

He added that joint operations involving other security agencies and local vigilantes were ongoing to flush out criminal elements and restore normalcy.

The post DHQ dismisses claims of terrorist base in South-West appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.

Read Entire Article
Disclaimer naijasurenews.com only organizes news items from different sources and should not be held responsible for any news item on this website. Opinions and issues conveyed here are not ours but our respective sources. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners Copyright © 2026 Naijasurenews.com, all rights reserved.Made with 💖 in Nigeria by Gimo Internet Tech. Whatsapp +2349029467326