Gunmen kill 3 worshippers, kidnap 15 from church vigil in Kwara

5 hours ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

A church vigil on Saturday night in Ori-Oke Ajaiye on the outskirts of Ikiran village of Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State went wrong after gunmen stormed the programme killing three worashippers and kidnapping about 15 others.

The attack, it was gathered, took place around 10:30pm, thereby causing pandemonium within the surrounding communities.

Sources in the area had earlier disclosed that armed terrorists stormed the community in large numbers, attacking worshippers and residents before they fled through nearby forest routes.

A local who spoke under condition of anonimity said that many villagers spent the night searching for missing relatives and loved ones after the assailants escaped from the area.

He said, “People were running in different directions because of the gunshots. Some families could not even find their relatives until this morning.”

READ ALSO: NDC disowns Enugu chairman, John Paul Anih, elected three weeks ago

Confirming the development on Sunday, the spokesperson, of the state police command SP Adetoun Ejire Adeyemi strongly condemned the gruesome attack, killing, and abduction of innocent worshippers by the armed criminals.

According to the spokesperson, “The incident was reported on 24th May, 2026, by one Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaiye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, Ekiti LGA Kwara State, who stated that while conducting a night vigil alongside members of his congregation at Ori-Oke Ijaye via Ekerin village, on 23rd May, 2026, at about 2030hrs, armed hoodlums invaded the prayer ground, firing sporadically, killing three persons while abducting fifteen others to an unknown destination.

“Upon receipt of the distress report, the Divisional Police Officer, Ekiti Division, immediately mobilised operatives to the scene.” the statement said.

The state Commissioner of Police, Ojo Adekimi, has directed a comprehensive tactical and intelligence-driven operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Units, and other operational assets for a coordinated rescue mission.”

The Commissioner in the statement described the attack as barbaric, callous, and unacceptable, assuring the families of the deceased, the injured, and the abducted victims that the command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the apprehension of the perpetrators behind the heinous act.

The command also assured residents of Ekiti LGA and the entire state that vigorous efforts are ongoing, including bush combing, intelligence gathering, and coordinated security operations to track down the assailants and bring them to justice.

It further urged members of the public to remain calm, vigilant, and supportive by providing credible and timely information that could assist ongoing operations.

The post Gunmen kill 3 worshippers, kidnap 15 from church vigil in Kwara appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.

Read Entire Article
Disclaimer naijasurenews.com only organizes news items from different sources and should not be held responsible for any news item on this website. Opinions and issues conveyed here are not ours but our respective sources. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners Copyright © 2026 Naijasurenews.com, all rights reserved.Made with 💖 in Nigeria by Gimo Internet Tech. Whatsapp +2349029467326