ARTICLE AD BOX
The Federal Government has suspended the planned closure of the Eko Bridge in Lagos State.
The Minister of Works, Dave Umahi, disclosed this during an inspection of the bridge on Tuesday.
He said: “We directed that this bridge be closed. That was about two weeks back, … but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge.
“He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”
The minister said his team re-assessed the strength of the bridge on Monday and confirmed that the closure could be suspended at the moment.
“We have done our technical evaluation in line with the president’s directive.
“Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we won’t get to any situation that any Nigerian on this bridge will not be safe.
“We have agreed on three procedures,” Umahi added.
READ ALSO:
According to him, the first procedure is not to close the bridge now but monitor the progression or otherwise of the crack.
He said that the crack was not progressing either arithmetically or geometrically at the moment.
“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it,” he stated.
The minister also said there would be remedial work on the bridge.
The post Nigerian govt suspends closure of Eko Bridge appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.














English (US) ·