ARTICLE AD BOX

The Oyo State Police Command has debunked reports alleging a bandit attack in Ogbomoso and nearby communities, describing the incident as a false alarm caused by misinformation and panic.
In a statement issued on Tuesday, the Command said calm had been restored in Ogbomoso and adjoining areas, including Ajaawa Town, after rumours circulated about suspected armed bandits around Are-Ago High School.
According to the police, the reports triggered anxiety among residents and prompted the immediate deployment of patrol and surveillance teams to the area to assess the situation and prevent any possible breakdown of law and order.
The Command explained that preliminary investigations revealed that the scare originated from unverified claims shared among students, who allegedly noticed unfamiliar persons behind the school fence.
The development reportedly created fear among students and staff members, leading to panic that quickly spread across neighbouring schools and communities.
Further findings by security operatives showed that the individuals involved included an officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, attached to the Kwara State Command, alongside two civilians.
Police said the trio had visited a female acquaintance in the area to celebrate her birthday.
According to the statement, suspicion intensified after an altercation reportedly occurred between some teachers and the visitors, while unconfirmed reports circulating within the community further escalated tension before the true circumstances were established.
The police maintained that there was no bandit invasion, attack or security breach in Ogbomoso or surrounding communities, adding that normal academic, commercial and social activities had since resumed.
The Commissioner of Police in Oyo State, Abimbola Ayodeji Olugbemiga, appealed to residents to remain calm, vigilant and continue supporting security agencies with useful and credible information.
He also cautioned against the spread of fake news and unverified security alerts, warning that individuals found circulating false information capable of causing panic or public disorder would face investigation and possible prosecution in line with the law.
The Command advised members of the public to rely only on official communication channels for security-related updates and avoid sharing rumours capable of disrupting peace and public safety.














English (US) ·