ARTICLE AD BOX
Fear and tension have gripped parts of Kwara State following a deadly overnight attack by armed men on a prayer gathering in Ekiti Local Government Area, leaving three worshippers dead and several others abducted.
The assault occurred late Saturday at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, a remote prayer ground situated near Ikiran Village along the Ikerin/Ajuba corridor, where worshippers had gathered for a night vigil before the attackers struck.
Residents said the sound of gunfire sent villagers and worshippers fleeing into nearby bushes and surrounding communities as the assailants reportedly operated for several minutes before escaping through forest routes.
One resident, who declined to be identified over security concerns, described the confusion that followed the attack, saying many families spent hours searching for relatives who failed to return home.
“People were running in different directions because of the gunshots. Some families could not even find their relatives until this morning.”
The Kwara State Police Command later confirmed the incident in a statement released on Sunday in Ilorin by the command’s spokesperson, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi.
According to the statement, the Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, condemned the attack and described it as a horrifying act against innocent worshippers.
“The Kwara State Police Command strongly condemns the gruesome attack, killing, and abduction of innocent worshippers by armed criminals at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, located on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in the Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State.”
Read also: Gunmen kill 3 worshippers, kidnap 15 from church vigil in Kwara
The police explained that the incident was first reported by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, Ekerin Village, who was leading members of his church during the vigil when the gunmen invaded the prayer ground.
“While conducting a night vigil alongside members of his congregation at Ori-Oke Ijaye via Ekerin village, armed hoodlums invaded the prayer ground, firing sporadically.”
Police authorities confirmed that three worshippers lost their lives during the attack while 15 others were forcibly taken away by the attackers to an unknown destination.
The Commissioner of Police said officers attached to the Ekiti Division swiftly responded after receiving distress calls from the area.
“Upon receipt of the distress report, the Divisional Police Officer, Ekiti Division, immediately mobilised operatives to the scene,” he said.
The police command disclosed that a large-scale rescue operation involving tactical teams, intelligence units, and surveillance assets had already been launched to rescue the abducted victims and apprehend those responsible for the attack.
“A comprehensive tactical and intelligence-driven operation involving the Police Drone Team, PMF personnel, Intelligence Units, and other operational assets has been deployed for a coordinated rescue mission,” he noted.
Describing the incident as barbaric, the police commissioner assured residents that security agencies were intensifying operations across the affected communities and forest areas.
“The command is fully committed to ensuring the rescue of all victims and the apprehension of the perpetrators behind the heinous act,” he promised.
The statement added that extensive bush combing and intelligence-gathering efforts were ongoing across Ekiti Local Government Area and adjoining communities.
“Vigorous efforts are ongoing, including bush combing, intelligence gathering, and coordinated security operations to track down the assailants and bring them to justice,” the statement added.
The command also appealed to residents to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing useful information that could support ongoing rescue efforts.
The latest incident has renewed concerns over increasing attacks on worship centres and rural communities in Kwara South.
In November 2025, armed bandits invaded Christ Apostolic Church, Oke Isegun, in Eruku, also in Ekiti Local Government Area, where three worshippers were killed and 38 others abducted before security operatives later secured their release.
Again in March 2026, suspected gunmen attacked an ECWA church in Omugo, Ifelodun Local Government Area, abducting 11 worshippers. Although three victims were later rescued through a joint security operation, eight others were still reportedly being held captive as of the time of filing this report.
The repeated attacks have continued to heighten anxiety across rural communities in Kwara State, particularly in areas bordering forests and isolated settlements.
The post Panic in Kwara as gunmen attack prayer mountain, kill three, kidnap worshippers appeared first on Latest Nigeria News | Top Stories from Ripples Nigeria.














English (US) ·