Surulere APC Primary: All aspirants stepped down for me except Desmond Elliot – Odunuga-Bakare

51 minutes ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

Ahead of the All Progressives Congress, APC, House of Assembly primary election for Surulere Constituency I in Lagos State, aspirant Barakat Odunuga-Bakare has disclosed that several contestants in the race have withdrawn in her favour, leaving the incumbent lawmaker, Desmond Elliot, as the only remaining challenger.

Odunuga-Bakare made the disclosure on Sunday while formally declaring her intention to contest for the party’s ticket ahead of the primary scheduled for Wednesday.

She said the political build-up to the exercise had been competitive, noting that she initially faced about five to six other aspirants in the contest, most of whom have now stepped down and pledged their support for her.

“Quite a lot of politicking went on between the incumbent and me. We had about five or six people who were contesting as well. But the others stepped down and are supporting me now. They are all here,” she said.

According to her, only the sitting lawmaker, Hon. Desmond Elliot, has chosen to remain in the race.

“The only person who didn’t succumb and insists on going to the primary is Honourable Desmond Elliot. I wish him all the best, and I wish myself luck too, and I’m praying that on Wednesday, I’m the one who emerges as the candidate for the Lagos State Assembly, Surulere Constituency 1,” she added.

Addressing APC members in the constituency, Odunuga-Bakare called for a large turnout on election day, assuring supporters that adequate security arrangements would be in place.

She urged party members to disregard any claims discouraging participation, insisting that the process would be conducted in a free and fair manner.

“My word to the people of Surulere is that they should come out to vote on Wednesday. The election will be free and fair because they have been going about telling people not to come out to vote. I assure the people of Surulere that there will be maximum security,” she said.

Odunuga-Bakare also appealed for unity after the primary, stressing the need for all party members to support whoever eventually emerges as the candidate.

“I’m also pleading with the people of Surulere that whoever emerges, whether it is me or not, should be supported, and we should work for that person,” she said.

She recalled her previous attempt at the seat, noting that she was defeated by the incumbent in the last election, but maintained that her current bid reflects the backing of constituents.

“In the last polls, I lost to the incumbent. I’m here today at the wish of the people of Surulere,” she added.

Meanwhile, Desmond Elliot, in a video shared on his X account on Sunday, alleged intimidation within the constituency and claimed that his security aides had been withdrawn ahead of the primary election.

Surulere APC Primary: All aspirants stepped down for me except Desmond Elliot – Odunuga-Bakare

Read Entire Article
Disclaimer naijasurenews.com only organizes news items from different sources and should not be held responsible for any news item on this website. Opinions and issues conveyed here are not ours but our respective sources. All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners Copyright © 2026 Naijasurenews.com, all rights reserved.Made with 💖 in Nigeria by Gimo Internet Tech. Whatsapp +2349029467326